Tuesday 1 November 2011

How to instal window7 from USB drive



You can install windows on any system through USB also. It has several advantages, like you would be able to install windows7 on devices that don't have dvd drives like netbooks and overall speed of the installation is also increased significantly. 
In this post I will discuss on the ways to make a bootable windows installer in an USB.
So, what do we guys need:

requirement
  • A USB drive at least 4 GB capacity.
  • Window7 installer disk
Steps:
  1. Insert the USB drive and open the command prompt.
  2. Inside command prompt type "DISKPART"
  3. Type "LIST DISK"

 this will show up the available disk on your system, the Disk 0 is my hard disk. And the Disk 1 is my USB drive.
  4.  Now, type " SELECT DISK 1" ( Note: I am using select disk 1 because, my USB is maned as disk 1 but if you have some different name then use that)
  5.  Now, you will need to enter the commands in the sequence:
  • CLEAN
  • CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
  • SELECT PARTITION 1
  • ACTIVE
  • FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
  • ASSIGN
  • EXIT
  6.  Now once you are done, insert the Window7 installation disk. ( note down your USB and dvd drive letter in my case it is I: for USB and F: for my DVD drive. Now write the following commands

F: CD BOOT
CD BOOT
BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 I:
EXIT

  7. Now copy the content of all your windows7 installation disk into the USB drive.

You are done. To boot change the priority boot settings to USB.

0 comments:

Post a Comment